Can’t touch the screen? No problem! with the Tecla Shield DOS™ you can use your external switches or the driving controls of your powered wheelchair 1 to:
- Send and receive email and text messages
- Browse the web
- Read books
- Access environmental controls (e.g., temperature, TV, etc.)
- Make, and even hang up, phone calls at any time
- Enter text and commands with your voice 2
- And just about everything else you can do with a smart device!
Tecla gives access to iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Android devices to individuals with spinal cord injuries (quadriplegia), multiple sclerosis (MS), ALS, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, brain injury, stroke and anyone else who, due to disease or disability, finds it difficult to use a touch-screen.
Order Tecla today! Or continue reading below to learn more about it.
My son, 16 yrs old with cerebral palsy, RANG ME for the first time ever, using an iPhone and Tecla Shield. Does anyone have tissues?— Tamara Hills (@tamara_hills) July 27, 2012
Tecla for Wheelchair UsersControl of your Tecla-enabled device can be made available as an additional driving mode or AUX output using a wheelchair control box 1, so you can switch at any time between driving your chair or controlling your device. The Tecla Shield DOS™ is compatible with control boxes from Invacare, PG (R-net), Permobil and many other brands!
Tecla for Switch UsersEven if you can only use one switch, you can still have access to ALL the features available to switch users in your Tecla-enabled device. The Tecla Shield DOS™ comes with modes optimized for users of one, two, and up to six switches!
Freedom of choice.
Access more than just a few apps.The Tecla Shield DOS™ allows you to explore the Home screen and launch applications just like anybody else. You can also navigate and interact with the built-in apps on iOS® or Android™ devices to take photographs, listen to music, browse the internet, make phone calls and watch videos. With the Tecla Shield DOS™, you will also be able to access the on-screen keyboard to compose e-mails and messages, or enter text whenever you need to. On iOS®, DOS takes advantage of VoiceOver or Switch Control, Apple's in-built access technology, to enable control of the iPhone®, iPad® & iPod Touch®. On Android™, DOS works in combination with the Tecla App for Android™ (available for free from the Google Play store).
System-wide voice assistance.Whether you want to ask Siri to email your friend, or the Google voice assistant to skip to the next song, the Tecla Shield DOS™ will make it happen for you regardless of the number of switches you use! Single switch access to Siri? No problem! The Tecla Shield DOS™ also enables switch access to the voice dictation key in the iOS® or Android™ built-in keyboards. This allows you to use your voice to enter text into any text box. No more typing your e-mails or text messages, just speak your mind and let your device do the typing for you!
Packed full of great features:
- Works with iPad®, iPod Touch® (3rd and 4th generations), iPhone® (5, 5C, 5S, 4, 4S and 3GS) or Android™ (best on Samsung Galaxy™ and Google Nexus™ devices running Android™ Gingerbread and above).
- 4-way joystick navigation and iBooks iOS® modes.
- Fully customizable Android™ experience using the Tecla App for Android™.
- Integrated speed and mode configuration buttons.
- Use up to six independent switch inputs or your wheelchair driving controls.
- Connects via Bluetooth without PIN pairing code.
- Rock-solid connection: always connects automatically to last paired device
- 18 meter range.
- High-capacity, integrated battery for over 4 days of continuous use!
- Size (L x W x H): 84 x 82 x 36 mm [3.5 x 3.25 x 1.5"]
- Weight: 200g
- Integrated 5000 mAh rechargeable battery!
- Radio Type: Bluetooth Class 2
- Radio Protocol: Serial Port Profile and Human Interface Device
- Switch Port 1: 3.5mm stereo socket
- Switch Port 2: 3.5mm stereo socket
- Wheelchair Port: D-Sub 9-pin male connector
- Power Port 1: 2.1mm center-positive barrel socket (9–24V)
- Power Port 2: USB micro B socket (5V)
Can I use the Tecla Shield to access Siri completely hands-free?
Yes! The Tecla Shield DOS enables totally hands-free and independent access to Siri on your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch using as little as a single switch. Users of the newer Switch Control feature available from iOS7 can access Siri from the Switch Control menu, while all others can access Siri by pressing and holding on the switch they use to select items.
Users of the older Tecla Shield UNO cannot use their switches or other alternative input methods to access Siri, however, we have had reports from users who are able to successfully launch Siri with the Tecla Shield UNO using SiriBoard (http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/siriboard-cydia-tweak/) on jailbroken iOS devices. Though we do not encourage jailbraking, we do believe users have the right to know the solution exists.
Is there a Tecla App for iOS?
No. There is no need to install an App to access an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch completely hands-free. The Tecla Shield DOS is compatible with VoiceOver and Switch Control, the accessibility features already built-into your iOS device.
Do you accept Purchase Orders (PO)?
Komodo OpenLab accepts Purchase Orders (PO) from all buyers. In order to submit a Purchase Order, please follow the steps below:
- Create a user account on the Komodo store. User accounts can be created at http://shop.komodoopenlab.com/account/register
- Once your account has been created, you can browse and select the items you want to buy
- After selecting all the products you want to purchase, proceed to checkout.
- Select "PO" as the payment method
- After completing your order, please submit an electronic copy of the "PO", as issued by your organization, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- After we receive the electronic copy of your PO, we will reply with a confirmation that includes:
- A message indicating that your order has been received,
- The estimated shipping date, and
- Payment instructions
If you have any questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
1. Must be equipped with an environmental control unit (ECU) module that allows the user to switch between controlling the wheelchair or their Tecla-enabled device
2. Siri and Voice Dictation are available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini and iPod touch (5th generation.) Internet access is required. These features may not be available in all languages or in all areas.
3. Additional switch access software for PC or Mac may be required.
4. Only available to users with access to 5 or more switches (e.g., 4-way joystick or wheelchair driving control and a 'select' switch) via the MouseKeys built-in feature in Mac or PC.